Tuesday 10 May 2011

Popping the question

With Tom still deciding who to ask to the June Ball and Gaz already having secured his girlfriend, Faye, as a date, I decided to bite the bullet and pop the question. I've been seeing Katie for about six months now, and I really wanted to ask her in a way she'd never forget. I told her to wrap up warm and meet me outside Q-Block at 9pm.

I got the car, and drove her to a secret location about 45 minutes outside Durham. I could tell she was excited because she kept asking where we were headed. As we got close I asked her to shut her eyes - I wanted the reveal to be special.

When we arrived at our destination (South Shields) I helped her out of the car and down onto the beach, where I'd set up a picnic and some candles earlier in the day. Unfortunately the tide had come in quite a bit and the blanket was very wet. It also seemed like a dog had a bit of a go at the food before we got there. I was upset but could tell Katie was pleased I'd made an effort.

We sat down, gazed up at the stars and chatted for a bit. I told Katie I loved her, and wanted her to go to the June Ball with me. She didn't say anything for about five seconds, instead choosing to stare lovingly into my eyes.

The tension was unbearable.

She grabbed the back of my neck and pulled me in for a passionate kiss. As we pulled away I said "I don't speak in tongues, but I'll take it that means yes?" Her look said it all; I had a date to the June Ball. In all honesty it was one of the happiest moments of my life.

We spent another hour or so on the beach, talking, laughing and kissing, before heading back to Durham to fill out the application form.

1 comment:

  1. My dearest William described with words what I could only feel in the depths of my soul...I was so astonished by the overwhelming nature of such a moving experience that I could hardly remember it myself. My memory of the event must have been impeded by his dashing charm and the lack of optical senses...

    ReplyDelete